Gold Coast World Surfing Reserve in association with Global Wave Conference will present the first of 4 events this Thursday as part of the International Surfing Symposium.
The Windansea Reunion at Currumbin RSL on this Thursday 2nd March will be one of the biggest surf reunions ever seen with some of the greatest legends of the sport from the 60's to current day.
Windansea originated in California in 1962 with the aim of inviting the leading surfers to form the best club in the World. By 1964 Australia was established and other International destinations followed in Mexico, Hawaii, New Zealand and South Africa. It was the first International Surf Club of its kind.
The Reunion will capture the early period of the 60’s and 70’s when both Sydney Windansea & Gold Coast reigned supreme with some of the best surfers of that time. However, when Sydney and Gold Coast branches faded in the early 70’s, the surviving club Caloundra that flew under the radar continued to fly the flag and wear the iconic logo.
The Thursday night Reunion is so unique bringing together for the first time both generations of Windansea connecting the founding fathers with the current crop.
As such it’s a one-off never to be repeated Reunion which will feature super legends awards, certificates of appreciation, a memorabilia display, slide show of photos from the 60s to the new millennium and a surf band named, Gringo and the Los Gringos.
There will be three amazing surf items auctioned including a Bob McTavish replica model of the 1967 Fantastic Plastic Machine model that sparked the shortboard revolution, plus two iconic paintings from Foundation members. One from Gary Birdsall that is simply a majestic masterpiece titled “The Evolution of Windansea” and the other from Ron Silcock, a tribute to Bondi Legend Kevin Brennan.
Tickets are available at the door which includes in the price one free Balter beer or Barefoot Wine and a sumptuous selection of homemade Pizza.
The International Surfing Symposium will follow on in two weeks’ time with three more events.
1. A two-day conference “Surfing Summit” on Ocean Conservation and other related topics on Monday 13th & Tuesday 14th March at Currumbin RSL.
2. The Save the Waves International International Film Festival featuring, “It Ain’t pretty” with women surfers in Big Waves and “Skeleton Sea” focusing on the problem of plastics in the Ocean at Surfworld surf museum, Currumbin. Wed 15th March.
3. The BIG GIG to wrap up the Symposium with James Reyne Band and Felicity Lawless and her band at Currumbin RSL on Friday 17th March with over $5,000 in prizes to giveaway such an airline trip for 2 to Bali thanks to Orbit World Travel, a Timberdeck Firewire Surfboard of choice, tickets for Cooly Beachfest and surf books from Tim Baker.
For ticket registration & information go to www. goldcoastworldsurfingreserve. com
Contact number – 0412754974
Photos attached of items to be auctioned.
1. Bob McTavish & Fantastic Plastic Machine
2. Gary Birsdall Evolution of Windansea
3. Ron Silcock portrait of the late and great Kevin Brennan
Gold Coast World Surfing Reserve Inc.