RIP Phil Becker

 

                                 Phil Becker 1940 - 2021

Thoughts from "Speed Shaper," a frequent commenter to this blog, and a veteran craftsman at Rick Surfboards, home of Phil's work for many years...

"Phil passed away peacefully with his wife Linda by his side the morning of Friday Feb. 26.
 
I was privileged to be a good friend to this very unique person who had so many dimensions. He taught me a lot of things about workmanship and dedication to one's craft. And to set those standards high. To stay active, mentally and physically, to challenge oneself in life. He laughed often and treated all with kindness.
 
He was very well read and hid his intelligence from others, a bit. He lived his life on his own terms. He was a "character" in a sport of characters, going from wood boards to modern technology. He was so stoked on life!
 
I can never recollect him being truly angry, knowing him from 1966. Exasperated by people's behavior, but never angry. and never swore in anger. He described the waves as F-ing good, but don't we all! 
 
He saw humor in lots of things. I learned just today from another friend that Phil could play classical guitar--songs of his own making, that according to this guy sounded really professional. He lived life on his own terms and helped many people quietly. When Carole and I were first married and I was making $250 a month, he rented us an apartment in Hermosa Beach for about 1/3rd of what it was worth. He just asked us not to tell anybody. It saved us financially.
 
Phil taught me to speed shape-fast and efficiently...and we both liked "speed shapes" in board designs, hence my on-line nickname. My life moved me in other directions away from working in surf shops, but I carried his work ethic and sense of craft and stoke through 7 different careers!
 
Phil married in his 70's. He and his wife were super active...a regular pattern of multiple 60 mile bike rides and good distance swims in the ocean every week, right up till he got ill.
 
I remember him commenting on Greg Liddle's shapes, saying that they were really efficient, but they'd never hit the mass market, because they didn't have pointy noses and that's what the public wrongly think makes a "performance" surfboard.
 
Phil was a friend and a mentor--I learned how to really be a craftsman from him. A great experience to know him, a great sadness at his passing."

1 comment:

tuskedbeast said...

Thanks for your heartfelt tribute, Speedshaper.