Mike Eaton RIP

 


Hi Paul, 
 
You probably know that Mike Eaton died a week after Phil Becker. Another shaper/mentor to me, but not as much as Phil. Still we had some great times together, seeing him develop the twin-fin shapes. He was twinning conventional shapes and finally got frustrated and just sawed the back off one day. Becker made a 6 ft something version two days later which I surfed at Rincon with frustration. My low-railer was at home and the twinnie wouldn't project down the line at all. I alternated knee riding to project the turns, then standing up to make maneuvers.  A week later I had a 5'8" out of a reject blank shaped by Phil. probably the shortest board around for a while. I surfed it at Manhattan Pier all summer. I put 3 fin boxes (homemade) in it, but quickly stayed a twin.
 
I'm sure Mike was aware of Simmon's shapes since he was surfing during that time.  Mike was also a naval architect and designed early catamarans that sailed from Calif to Hawaii. I still have a set of sketches he made giving me hints on how to shape Bonzers. And some interesting fin templates with large end lobes and fairly narrow "stalks".
 
I surfed the biggest waves of my life at Jalama with Mike and Keith Paul, "island 10 ft" terrifying! That's where I finally decided that I was a "6 ft and under surfer" like Corky Carrol famously said. That trip makes a really good story about surf adventure and mis-adventure! It was wackiness and terror mixed together.
 
Mike was scientific methodical and very generous with his hard found knowledge. Another quiet person and consummate craftsman. I worked with him at Rick's and would walk across the street to Bing's to talk to him when he moved there. 
 
These people's lives made a very positive impact on the world. Like you are doing right now, they left a legacy of total stoke!
 
I'll celebrate them by riding waves in a joyous manner.
 
Speed Shaper

No comments: